[lbo-talk] IP

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 12:08:21 PST 2006

Doug:

Anyone hear anything about Verizon DSL blocking filesharing (Gnutella, LimeWire, Acquisition, etc.)? A quick google turns up nothing.

===============

I've heard nothing specific but it's an open secret (or at least, a strong and logically consistent rumor) that ISPs are trying to create levels of robustness depending upon port/service - e.g. smtp traffic smooth, more 'exotic' ports not so smooth.

Note this, for example:

from -

<http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=973>

Arguments of backtracking aside, Mr. Banks is referring to a type of de facto port blocking. This is where the ISP diverts its attention away from higher bandwidth concerns, and concentrates on other aspects of the network, such as HTTP or email traffic.

“My point is that without sufficient revenue to justify increasing investment, we are going to get to a place where at least some high bandwidth services might not work so well because of insufficient capacity at peak usage times. I don't think this should fall into the "port blocking" category, but some might argue that it does.”

The balancing acts DSL providers face is keeping prices low while still providing all the services that consumers demand. This may result in prioritizing services, but not the absolute blockage of high bandwidth traffic such as P2P or BitTorrent.

[...]

For tracking this sort of thing, I suggest DSL reports -

<http://www.dslreports.com>

.d.

---------

http://monroelab.net/blog/

Chuck Norris doesn't actually write books, the words assemble themselves out of fear.