[lbo-talk] Oscars and Queers Who Die

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 2 14:48:59 PST 2006

> > What makes a gay-themed film an Oscar contender? The gay guy (or
> > transgender girl) dies.
>
> This is beyond one-dimensional, Yoshie. On the one hand, you
> complain that BM depicts an hermetically sealed, unrealistic world;
> and then you complain that when someone in film who is gay gets
> killed _in Wyoming in the 1970s_ by gay-bashing that it's, what,
> too realistic? Heavens.
>
> Christian

In the film, Jack lives in Texas, and Ennis lives in Wyoming, so Jack presumably gets killed in Texas in the 1980s (since the film begins in 1964 and the affair spans two decades -- which we know because Ennis's daughters are already grown up, and one of them is ready to get married at the end of the film). Setting the facts about this particular film aside, though, do queers have a 67% chance of dying by gay-bashing and a 33% chance of dying of AIDS in the real world, as the gay-themed Oscar contenders represent? If that were true, being queer would be practically a death sentence.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>