Send Lawyers, Guns and Money (Was RE: [lbo-talk] Kinky... Why the hell not?)

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Fri Feb 3 07:00:07 PST 2006

>>> andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com 02/01/06 12:16 AM >>>
Btw, Miller's not the only case that would have to go. The BoR on its face, including the 2A, only restricts what the federal govt can do. To get the BoR to apply to the states, the Court has to rule that an amendment is "incorporated," that it applies to the states via the 14A. There are specific cases on each of the applicable amendments in the BoR. Thus the 1A, the 4A, the 5A, the 6A, the 7A, and the 8A are all specifically incorporated. (The 3A, the 9A, and the 10A don't call for incorporation, though the 3A might if the states started quartering the National Guard in our homes . . . .) Back in the 1880s, the S.Ct ruled that the 2A is NOT incorporated, and so does not apply to state regulation of guns. So even if the 2A prohibits federal gun control, it doesn't prohibit state gun control. However, if the gun nuts want to get rid of state gun control,I say fine, give them that too. Having to incorporate the 2A and overrule the old case, the name of which I forget, is just an extra impediment that I point out because I'm a lawyer and therefore boringly legalistic. <<<<<>>>>>

incorporation is interesting, by time s.c. modified 'palko test' (from explanation of doctrine by cardozo in '47 case re. criteria by which court determines state violation of amendment 14) in '68 _duncan v louisana_ case facilitating incorporation of additional provisions, incorporation 'era' - which began with gitlow case in '25, and which accelerated in mid-'60s - was about over, in large part, no doubt, because bill of rights had largely been incorporated, except for numbers cited above (although some scholars cite *second*, third, & tenth as those not applicable), number 14 imposes on states all requirements of bill of rights except indictment for serious crimes by grand jury and trial by jury in all civil cases involving more than $20)...

william o. douglass, whose dissents often expressed concern about 'watering down' of bill of rights protections, wrote in '72 _adams v williams_ dissent something to the effect pistols could be banned for everyone except the police while indicating that if choice was between watering down #2 or #4, he would choose former...

btw: recall reading piece some time ago asserting that madison intended for amendment 2 to enable southern slavers to protect/enforce institution/practice of slavery (neither recall author's name nor where article appeared)... mh