[lbo-talk] OK, Nathan

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Feb 3 09:14:32 PST 2006

Joanna:

> You forgot the trump card: racism.

No I did not - it is included in the term "ethnic fragmentation" that includes not just black/white, but also Irish, Jewish, Polish, Italian, Chinese, Latino divisions. The idea here is that in the US the lines of political exclusion often crossed the class lines, whereas in Europe (or for that matter in South Africa) they often coincided. The former weakened the formation of a national labor movement, while the latter reinforced it, as Theda Skocpol argued.

Michael Hoover:

> 1) comment re. 'armed mob' and 'draconian responses'
> *nicely* summarizes your politics...

So if you deem my "politics" - of which you know nothing since you admittedly do not read my postings - unacceptable, does that mean that everything I say should be automatically dismissed? Or what? Besides, what do you think my politics are to deserve an honorable mention. And once it has been decided what my politics are, do I have any say on the subject?

Once we mentioned "my politics" - the more time I spend on this list the more I think that despite all its faults the Democratic party is by far the best and most sensible progressive alternative for this country. There is simply no other alternative that can be taken seriously.

Wojtek