Self-Censorship Re: [lbo-talk] Link to Muhammed cartoons

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 3 10:48:34 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> You're overlooking self-censorship, which happens all the time at
> mainstream newspapers and magazines. Reporters know what editors will
> reject, ....

An old but dramatic illustration. Back in the early '60s B Russell addressed a letter to both Pravda and the NYT. Both printed it with deletions. The difference was Pravda indicated the deletions with ellipsis dots; the NYT did not give any hint of any suppression.

The WSJ (on its news pages) is probably a bit more honest than the NYT or WP, but all three are still essentially government publications in respect to any news that the state or major sections of the ruling class really need to have suppressed. Bruce Franklin deals with some extremely dramatic instances of such self-censorship in _M.I.A., or Mythmaking in America_.

Carrol