[lbo-talk] Brokeback Mountain: A review by David McReynolds

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 3 14:40:36 PST 2006

> Brokeback Mountain: A Review by David McReynolds
>

> The film - directed brilliantly by Ang Lee - is a love story.

The review in the current NLRB devotes about a third of its space to a brisk attack on all reviewers who take this tack. The thesis of the review is that it is about The Closet, and that it is false to see it like R&J, black/white, etc. It is not a social tragedy but a psychological tragedy of self-hate.

Not having seen the movie I have no opinion, but the review is of great interest.

Carrol