[lbo-talk] "The Great Prevalence of Sexual Inversion"!

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Fri Feb 3 16:15:32 PST 2006

Hi,

And, worth mentioning, Havelock Ellis, was a raging white supremacist and eugenicist.

"...Havelock Ellis, known as a sex radical and free thinker, shared Pearson's elitist views, writing in his 1911 eugenicist book, The Problem of Race Regeneration, "These classes, with their tendency to weak-mindedness, their inborn laziness, lack of vitality, and unfitness for organized activity, contain the people who complain they are starving for want of work, though they will never perform any work that is given them." Ellis suggested in the same book that all public relief be denied to second generation paupers unless they "voluntarily consented" to be surgically sterilized."

See: http://www.publiceye.org/magazine/v09n1/eugenics.html Margaret Quigley The Roots of the I.Q. Debate: Eugenics and Social Control

-Chip Berlet

________________________________

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Yoshie Furuhashi Sent: Fri 2/3/2006 6:29 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] "The Great Prevalence of Sexual Inversion"!

Carrol wrote:

> The review in the current NLRB devotes about a third of its space
> to a brisk attack on all reviewers who take this tack. The thesis
> of the review is that it is about The Closet, and that it is false
> to see it like R&J, black/white, etc. It is not a social tragedy
> but a psychological tragedy of self-hate.

There was once a white cultural fascination with "tragic mulattos" (cf. <http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/mulatto/>), an object of pity rather than solidarity. The oppressors tend to become luridly interested in "self-hate" (real and imaginary) of the oppressed. Concentrating on that relieves them of thinking too much about the causes of prevailing social structures, the dominant ideology, etc.

<<SNIP>>

The rooms of many of my inverted friends have red as the prevailing color in decorations. Among my classmates, at the medical school, few ever had the courage to wear a red tie; those who did never repeated the experiment."

Source: Havelock Ellis, Sexual Inversion, 3d ed. (Philadelphia: F. A. Davis 1915), 350-351.

<http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5114/></blockquote>

The real world that Elliis and his correspondent portray is much livelier and more liberating than the fictional world of The Well of Loneliness, Brokeback Mountain (which is even lonelier than The Well of Loneliness in the sense that there is no queer community at all in it), etc.

Yoshie Furuhashi

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 6411 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20060203/edb9db58/attachment.bin>