[lbo-talk] B. D. Woman's Blues

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 4 08:06:52 PST 2006

Charles says:

> Sissy Blues
>
> By Ma Rainey
>
> http://blueslyrics.tripod.com/lyrics/ma_rainey/sissy_blues.htm

That's another good example.

Here's another one: "Prove It On Me Blues" (1928), also by Ma Rainey:

Everything seemed to go on wrong I looked up, to my surprise The gal I was with was gone

Where she went, I don’t know

I mean to follow everywhere she goes Folks say I’m crooked, I didn’t know where she took it I want the whole world to know

They said I do it, ain’t nobody caught me

Sure got to prove it on me Went out last night with a crowd of my friends They must’ve been women, ‘cause I don’t like no men

It’s true I wear collar and a tie

Make the wind blow all the while ‘Cause they say I do it, ain’t nobody caught me They sure got to prove it on me

Wear my clothes just like a fan

Talk to the gals just like any old man ‘Cause they say I do it, ain’t nobody caught me Sure got to prove it on me.</blockquote>

You can listen to an excerpt from it at

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AOV4E/qid=1117644093/sr=2-3/ ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/102-1539254-6990546?n=5174>.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>