[lbo-talk] Munich

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sat Feb 4 08:48:55 PST 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

-Hollywood can do better, and some of this year's Oscar nominees prove -that: Munich, Syriana, Good Night, and Good Luck, and A History of -Violence -- especially Munich. You may not like Munich's politics, -but you can't say that it doesn't know where it's about and where it -sands. Tony Kushner had a great influence on Steven Spielberg!

Hmmm-- I liked Munich because it's politics are a bit ambiguous. In some ways, the most healthy character is the older guy who continues to question whether what he is doing right, and then explains that it's only the continual questioning/kvetching that allows him to do the work (ie. assassination). He is very skeptical of exactly those who know where they stand at all times.

But yes, we've seen some very good political films recently.

Nathan Newman