[lbo-talk] Remarks by Greg Guma, Executive Director - Pacifica

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 4 10:40:32 PST 2006

Remarks by Greg Guma, Executive Director

http://www.pacifica.org/news/060128_ED-Guma_PNB_remarks.html

Pacifica National Board Meeting Washington, DC January 28, 2006

Shortly after I accepted this job, I talked with a dedicated Pacifica supporter who at one time also considered going after this position. From what I knew, this person seemed well suited for the job. So, why didn't you apply? I asked.

The reply was revealing. "Well, I wanted to work again," I was told.

The basic point, I think, was that it's tough to work in such a highly charged environment - whether you are a general manager, a program director, or sometimes even a board member - without making enemies and finding yourself under attack at some point.

So, I can't say that I haven't been warned. In the last few weeks, starting even before I arrived for my first day of work in Berkeley, I saw descriptions of myself that I never would have imagined possible.

Non-credible fringie. Demanding would be overseer. Conspiracy nutball. Naive. And that was before I even made my first decisions on the job.

It was certainly a wake up call

So, who have you hired? In my interview back in October I described myself as an anarcho-Buddhist. What I mean by that is that I believe in widespread distribution of power and wealth, cooperation, direct democracy and mutual aid, and the need for a fundamental transformation of society. That's the anarcho part. But I also believe in nonviolence, tolerance, and a receptive, persuasive and non-attached approach to organizational leadership. Changing politics in this country and around the world is only part of what is needed. A change in the way we relate to each other and the natural world will also be necessary if we're going to address the underlying problems facing the planet.

But I am also, despite all of that, a practical idealist. I think it's most effective to start the process of change carefully. And if you don't acknowledge the obstacles, the various forces surrounding an organization - and inside it - and move somewhat methodically, step by step - you'll set loose a reaction, a resistance, that can make the situation even worse.

****

' It's time to wake up the airwaves and shake up the world.' Greg Guma Given all that, let me give you a brief rundown of what I've been doing so far, in the transition leading up to my arrival at the National Office, in my first few days on the job, and some of the work I see ahead.

First of all, There has been a lot of studying and asking questions - about Pacifica's history, its financial situation, its personal issues, programming ideas, governance and organizational structure, and much more.

I've been attending some meetings - of the PNB, Finance Committee, and Coordinating Committee. I weighed in a bit on the decision to launch a National Spanish Language program out of KPFK, and have begun to talk with people about the future of national programming. I've met with representatives from Free Speech Radio News, sharing with them some initial thoughts about how to reach agreement about its long-term relationship with Pacifica.

After talking with HR Director Yolanda Thomas, I worked out a small office reorganization that will provide her with a private space for the confidential communication she needs with staff. We have also agreed about a new hire process and package that she will be introducing at various stations during the next month. And we have agreed that action by this Board on a code of conduct is a necessary initial step toward addressing many of the problems that lead to conflict - and sometimes litigation. I've also spoken with the shop stewards at KPFA, and they seem to agree that uniform standards, along with reasonable enforcement, can help to prevent or at least respond to inappropriate behavior.

While in Berkeley this week, I also worked with Ambrose on the management transition underway at KPFA, and met with some members of the LSB to talk about how we can move forward from here. I've urged them to move forward quickly with the search for a new General Manager, and have agreed to cooperate with them on determining how to keep local station management effective on an interim basis.

One of my first decisions was to approve national coverage of the state of the union address. The goal was a show that would be dynamic, welcome to our five stations, and attractive to affiliates. Since some stations are in the midst of fund drives, I've tried to offer a structure that includes both a remote broadcast distributed nationwide and the option for one or two stations to break away after the speech for local reactions and a fundraising pitch. We'll see how that goes and evaluate it afterward. Hopefully, post-production evaluation can become a regular part of the process, not just when we encounter a problem.

I've been talking with Lonnie about how to diversify our revenue sources by taking advantage of openings for new satellite and Internet channels as well as podcasting, and have been briefed about CPB standards and requirements to secure full future funding. There have also been initial talks about how to make best use of national fundraising through direct mail, and the possibilities for major donor fundraising.

Meeting the challenge of increased diversity in our audience and organization is also on the agenda. This is not only needed to secure full CPB funding; it is an important component of Pacifica's mission. It is an issue that bears on our election process, future staffing decisions, and programming to reach underserved communities. It also raises questions about the mission itself. Many people talk about our mission, but after 57 years and dramatic changes in media, I get the impression that we don't all see it exactly the same way. So, if I can keep my head above water in addressing day to day needs, I hope to develop a process for us to revisit the mission, find our where we agree and where we differ, and reach some consensus on why we believe Pacifica is a vital part of the 21st century media landscape. While I don't believe in false unity, I hope we can agree on the basic intentions that drive our work.

****

What is my vision for Pacifica? On this point, saying too little is as bad as saying too much. But I do have some preliminary ideas.

(snip)