[lbo-talk] Peace and Freedom keeps ballot status.

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 5 10:30:58 PST 2006

From: Kevin Akin <> To: (snip)

Subject: [pfp-scc] WE WON! McPherson capitulates, Peace and Freedom keeps ballot status.

Sent: Friday, February 3, 2006 2:30 PM Thank you all for the work you did to get attention directed upon the malicious partisan exclusion of the Peace and Freedom Party from the ballot by Schwarzenegger's appointed Secretary of State Bruce McPherson.

Our press conference in front of McPherson's office was scheduled for 2:00 pm today. All morning his office got calls from press, radio and TV folks. At 1:57, three minutes before the press conference was to begin, our attorney Bob Evans got a call from an official at the office of the Secretary of State, telling him that on second thought, the Peace and Freedom Party is a qualified party after all.

Bob called me, I tried to call people at the press conference, but it wasn't until 2:05 pm that I got through. By that time, some press people had already told our folks that the Secretary of State's office was telling callers that Peace and Freedom is still on the ballot. I heard some loud happy sounds, but have not yet received a report as to just what happened at the press conference. I made sure that CT Weber (candidate for State Senate) understood that our attorney was notified only three minutes before the start of the press conference, and asked him to thank the media people for their attention that made McPherson fold his hand.

You might want to check out the TV news this evening to see if anything makes it to the tube. If it is mentioned, I would be very grateful if you could tell me roughly what is said, and what TV station it was on. Thanks!

Oh, a special thanks to Richard Winger of Ballot Access News. The official who called Bob Evans said that it was Richard's list of precendents that made it clear to them that their side had no hope of prevailing in court. But she (the official) was quite grudging, and said McPherson will try to get the law changed to make it easier to take us off. What an idiot! How many times does he want to stick his hand into this particular hornet's nest? We're organized! Be prepared for struggles ahead, but have a very satisfactory weekend (gathering signatures, of course).

-Kevin Akin, a very happy State Chair of the Peace and Freedom Party of California