[lbo-talk] Saddam helped fund Christian Church in Detroit

Kevin Robert Dean Qualiall at Adelphia.Net
Sun Feb 5 23:17:08 PST 2006

And given the key to the city...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/2064887/detail.html

Saddam Reportedly Given Key To Detroit Iraq President Funded Local Chaldean Church In 1980

POSTED: 8:17 a.m. EST March 26, 2003 UPDATED: 10:00 a.m. EST March 26, 2003

DETROIT -- Years before Saddam Hussein became an enemy to the United States, he was reportedly seen as a friend and made an honorary Detroit citizen.

Video Father Jacob Yasso The Rev. Yasso Recalls Meeting With Saddam Hussein

In 1980 when Saddam was on good terms with the United States, he gave money to fund the Sacred Heart Chaldean Church in Detroit, Local 4 reported. The Rev. Jacob Yasso said he will never forget Saddam's offer when he asked about the church's debt.

"He said, 'How much is it?' I said, '$170,000,'" Yasso said about his conversation with Saddam. "Then he replied, 'We will pay it off for you.'"

Saddam turned to his secretary-general and gave the church $200,000, Yasso said. The money reportedly helped build the Chaldean Center of America located on Seven Mile Road next to the Sacred Heart Chaldean Church, which received an earlier Saddam gift of $250,000, the station reported.