[lbo-talk] "Freedom" of fascist speech is an absurdity

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Mon Feb 6 06:31:37 PST 2006

Actually, I don't think the left has historically supported freedom of speech for fascists for precisely the reasons you (Charles) mention. That's why it has generally tried to confront and disrupt fascist rallies as a matter of self-defence. But at the same time it has objected to legislated curbs on freedom of expression because it has adjudged, accurately, that these are more likely to be used against itself in times of crisis.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Brown" <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 9:16 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] "Freedom" of fascist speech is an absurdity