[lbo-talk] Re: Brokeback Mountain: A Review by David McReynolds

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 6 08:23:49 PST 2006

> Brokeback Mountain: A Review by David McReynolds

What a maudlin piece of shit!!

> Brokeback Mountain is not, in the usual sense, a gay
film.

What is the usual sense of a gay film?

> Those looking for much "full frontal sexuality" will be
disappointed

Ah, the usual gay film has sex -- for shame. The queer Puritan is such an interesting animal -- it jerks off and hates itself at the same time.

> In these times, when cable brings us nearly 24 hour a
day porn, it is more than a half hour into the film before anything at all occurs.

It was more like two hours and sixteen minutes before anything happened -- the credits finally rolled.

> The physical encounters are not frequent, and I can
expect gay websites will be outraged at what isn't shown.

I do not know anyone who has cared how much dick is or is not shown. It is the huge amount of homophobia that is shown that is troublesome.

> Unlike most love stories which somewhat deceptively
focus on "love", this focuses on the intense sexuality of what is at the heart of love.

Huh? But doesn't show the sexuality that is at the center of this love. We better change this guy's meds.

> Ang Lee conveys the electricity of the situation

Well, I sure missed it. Maybe something made this guy's weathered weenie spring to life, and he mistook it for screen electricity.

> There is beauty in the filming, in watching flocks of sheep
move like an abstract painting, the hugeness of the landscape, the loneliness of the space.

Manny Farber years ago labelled this stuff White Elephant Art. Nice to know that it still has its fans.

> Into this vastness of a Wyoming summer, two young men
fall, almost accidentally, into a physical relationship.

How the hell do you "fall, almost accidentally, into a physcial relationship"? "Oops, I tripped. And my dick, which happened to be hard, ended up your ass which happened to be lubed."

> Rather, they are two very butch guys, one of whom (Jake
Gyllenhaal)

Gyllenhal butch?? Oh, Prunella!!

> It haunts both men, who, caught in an affair which is more
important to them than anything else, are yet trapped in a world where the relationship itself is impossible.

And why are they trapped? Are we to believe that Jack Twist knows enough to go to Mexico to pick up hustlers, but knows nothing about post-Stonewall gay life?

> Brokeback Mountain is a film which deserves to be seen on its own
merits, not because its subject matter is homosexual.

But what are those merits dearie?

> I had wanted to see the film by myself, for it carried me back to an
affair of my own, decades ago, with a man who is surely still alive (these days everyone lives into their 70's), married, with children, and grandchildren.

Now we get to the crux of the matter. The movie sent him into a reverie for a long ago love, and the nostalgic glow evoked by that memory made Lee's BM seem better than it was. Maybe if he had reviewed the film instead of the warm, fuzzy feeling it evoked in him, he would have had something valuable to say.

> I remember at the time, when all was young and sexual, one of my
fantasies was to go deep into the California mountains with him, campfires, hiking and randy sex. That was a very long time ago, in the 1940's.

Thanks for sharing.

> Back when I, too, had no clear idea what to do, or what was possible.

It seems he still doesn't have a clue.

> What they had was rare, not for public display.

And the queer love on display in 2006 is not rare? Oh Prunella in spades!!

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister