[lbo-talk] Iran and the Left in a Moral Snare

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 6 14:54:09 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:

>But Germans many generations displaced from the German homeland get priority
>on return to that country through immigration, Greeks who had settled in
>eastern Turkey for tens of generations returned to the Greek homeland after
>they were driven out by the post-War I expulsions. How many generations
>would Palestinians have to live in Brooklyn before they forfeit their right
>of return?

I think a Pal right of return is pretty phantasmic. israel exists, isn't going anywhere, and really shouldn't be undone at this point.

But you're referring to a right of return to countries that more or less existed in their present form. Israel was created less than 60 years ago mainly to accommodate Europeans, and a language was revived that hadn't been spoken in over a thousand years. There's really not much else like it in the handbook of nationalisms.

How many states in the world consider religion as relevant to one's fitness to own property?

Doug