[lbo-talk] Re: "Freedom" of fascist speech is an absurdity

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 7 09:11:18 PST 2006

(I agree with Jim that we're dealing with a conventional meaning, perhaps mostly in the U.S., rather than any "true" meaning of the word. But I agree because all word meanings are conventional, not metaphysical, not because this is a special case.)

Let me try to get at this way. Suppose Shockley (if he were still alive) were invited by the local Rotary to give a speech, open to the public. I could say two totally different things:

1. I could appeal to the City Council to bar his speaking here.

2. I could organize people to cover the steps of the hall with garbage, to block traffic, to pelt incoming audience with raw eggs, to throw ball bearings in the path of mounted officers trying to protect the auditorium, and so on.

Number 1 would be attempt to limit Shockley's freedom of speech by invoking state repression of it.

Numbert 2 would _not_ attempt to limit his freedom of speech; it would be a leftit tactic (correct or incorect) to protect the working class against an attack on it.

To speak of the latter as interfering with his free speech would be to introduce a linguistic _and_ a legal confusion.

We need an expression that unambiguously refers to a legal limit on state power -- and nothing else. In the u.s. at least that expression is "free speech" as guaranteed by the 1st and 14th amendments.

My right elbow is still hurting after two weeks of ultra-sound treatment. I've got to keep my fingers off the keyboard.

Carrol