[lbo-talk] Re: "Freedom" of fascist speech is an absurdity

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 09:36:14 PST 2006

This a really classical law school exam question to which there is no clear answer, but I suspect that police interference might not be impermissible regulation. First of all, is the lawyer speaking, and are the fascists acting, in a public forum -- a park, say? Therre is more scope there for all sorts of speech than in, say, private property (where there is essentially none) or in quasi public places. Second, Is a permit required for the speech or demo, and does either party have one if it is? Reasonable time place and manner regulations that are content free are permitted by the 1A. E.g., I can campaign for communism, but not in a loud sound truck at midnight. Relatedly, are the cops trying to preserve order or are they attacking the fascists because of what they are saying? Finally, are the fsacists just making a hullabaloo or are they thretaening physical attack, blocking the roadway, creating a riot, or otherwise in violation of the law?