[lbo-talk] NYRB & Brokeback

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 10:01:08 PST 2006

> Sooo...the review is at
> <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/18712>.

<<Indeed, the point that gay people have been trying to make for years—a point that Brokeback could be making now, if so many of its vocal admirers would listen to what it's saying—is that there's no such thing as a typi-cal gay person,>>

This is a nice article but it seems to contradict itself. He wants to criticize those who emphasize that "Brokeback" is a universal love story (as opposed to a "gay" love story) and then turns around and makes the above quoted statement. I dont believe that those promoting this story a a universal love story are overlooking the fact that it is gay or that it is a story about the "closet". They are indeed emphasizing the fact that there is no such thing as a "typical gay person", no seperate "gay" species, and that fact makes this love story universal.

Thomas

"...everytime we move it ahead, it's thrown back. But the base camp has been made, and the next wave will come and find your wreckage, and they'll be encouraged to go beyond that."

-Timothy O'Leary

"I want to do something with my life; I want to be a cyborg."

-Kevin Warwick