[lbo-talk] Iran and the Left in a Moral Snare

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 7 12:26:17 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:

>-I think a Pal right of return is pretty phantasmic. israel exists,
>-isn't going anywhere, and really shouldn't be undone at this point.
>-But you're referring to a right of return to countries that more or
>-less existed in their present form. Israel was created less than 60
>-years ago mainly to accommodate Europeans, and a language was revived
>-that hadn't been spoken in over a thousand years. There's really not
>-much else like it in the handbook of nationalisms.
>
>What do you mean? Most nation-states in the world date back no more than to
>World War I when the great empires began being divided up. India and
>Pakistan were divided at roughly the same time as Israel, with
>ethnic-religious displacements on an even larger scale -- and continuing
>demands for rights of return in places like Kashmir.

Yes there were tremendous population movements involved in the creation of a lot of nation-states, and they're not historically inspiring examples. Even so, there were people living in the area that's now Germany who were speaking some variety of German when that country was created in its modern form. You can't say the same for Israel.

In any case, I'm not particularly fond of nationalism of any kind, so appeal to other nationalisms as a justification for Israel's (a problematic concept in itself, as Seth Kulick just pointed out) won't cut much ice with me.

>Yes, Israel has its own history but so do all countries. There is almost
>nothing about Israel's nationalism that is not shared with some other
>nation. And I think Palestinians in Brooklyn expect a full right of return
>to the West Bank and Gaza, if not to within the Green lines, so there is
>little phantasmic about it.

Yes to the West Bank and Gaza, but not within the Green Line. I don't see any justice in undoing a vast displacement with another vast displacement.

>-How many states in the world consider religion as relevant to one's
>-fitness to own property?
>
>Historically? Most. Jews were prohibited from owning many kinds of
>property throughout Europe until very recent times. Austria-Hungary didn't
>end religious restrictions on land ownership until 1864. And note my
>comments on the religious aspects of Serbian versus Croatian nationalism
>that has translated into fights over control of property.

Wow, so Israeli policy can be justified by historic prohibitions against Jews? I don't think that's what you're saying, but the invocation of the example is weird. In 2006, most people who profess to be democrats would find religious restrictions on property ownership to be deeply offensive.

Over 90% of Israel is quasi-public property. Here's an excerpt from an entry on About.com <http://experts.about.com/q/Israeli-Law-936/Laws-regarding-property-ownership.htm> written by an Israeli lawyer: