[lbo-talk] Re: Iran and the Left in a Moral Snare

Seth Kulick skulick at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Feb 7 13:19:29 PST 2006

> Anyway, I don't think it's been mentioned here, but yesterday and today there
> have been very long and informative articles in The Guardian by Chris McBeal
> on issues very much related to this topic (well, not "Iran and the Left in
> a Moral Snare", but regarding Israel)
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1703244,00.html
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1704036,00.html

Chris McGreal, not McBeal.

I've been waiting for the reaction to this from the liberal/left Zionist groups, and I see that Ralph Seliger of Meretz USA is objecting to it:

http://meretzusa.blogspot.com/2006/02/situation-is-it-apartheid.html

He mentions a few points from an upcoming article in the magazine he edits, Israel Horizons (which btw gave a favorable review to the repulsive book by Dershowitz) disputing the apartheid analogy. One of the points is that:

"Palestinians are not oppressed on racial grounds as Arabs, but as competitors in a national/religious conflict for land."

okay!