[lbo-talk] Iran and the Left in a Moral Snare

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Feb 7 19:42:37 PST 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pollak" <mpollak at panix.com>

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Nathan Newman wrote:
> It's hard to sort through all the counter-information, but here is a page
> from a civil rights group within Israel, which makes it clear that, while
> in practice lots of discrimination occurs, Arab Israelis have the right to
> and have leased state-owned land.
> http://www.acri.org.il/english-acri/engine/list.asp?topic=17

-Actually, no...So no matter what it says on paper, the de facto situation is still that no -Palestinian-Israelis have been allowed to lease the 93% of land that is -owned by the Jewish Agency.

No expert, but from what I've read the Jewish Agency does not own 93% of the land; they own far less and most is owned by the government through a body called the ILA. From various sources, including pro-Palestinian sources, it is clear that Palestinians DO lease land from the ILA. There is lots of discrimination against Palestinians, which is bad enough, but absolute statements that Palestinian Israelis never are able to lease government-owned land seems to be untrue from what I've read.

Nathan Newman