[lbo-talk] Coca toothpaste anyone?

Colin Brace cwb at lim.nl
Thu Feb 9 01:06:57 PST 2006

Evo Morales on the exploitation of coca:

[...]

Which brings us back, inevitably, to the coca. He won't say whether there will be more or less production under his government, simply that there will be neither unbridled cultivation nor eradication. Figures, he says, will be set by the government in consultation with the unions.

"I want to industrialise the production of coca and we will be asking the United Nations to remove coca leaf as a banned substance for export," he says. "That way, we can create markets in legal products such as tea, medicines and herbal treatments. There has even been research in Germany which shows that toothpaste made from coca is good for the teeth. That will then enable us to be tougher on the narco-traffickers. As I said, no to zero coca, yes to zero cocaine."

[...]

Full: http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1705476,00.html

--

Colin Brace