[lbo-talk] Freedom" of fascist speech is an absurdity

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Thu Feb 9 06:34:32 PST 2006

At 9:01 AM +0000 8/2/06, Wendy Lyon wrote:

>Holy Moses. Racist speech should be banned because somewhere, down
>the line, possibly decades later, it might inspire someone to kill?

Yes. And because even if it doesn't succeed in inspiring someone to kill, or oppress, that is unambiguously the intent. And given that, why should the intended victims have to live in fear.

Shut the miserable scum up. Jail them if they won't shut up. Their views are intolerable.

>I'm just ... appalled.

Well lah-de-dah, you're appalled... have a thought for how the people at the pointy end of this hate speech feel if it is officially tolerated.

> > Nazism is conspiracy to commit murder , period.
>
>Again with the grand statements. Most of the "Nazis" I've known (and
>I've known a few) have been armchair Nazis who'd be hard pressed to
>murder a fish supper. You are seriously overestimating the capacity
>of these morons to achieve their ultimate goal. Obviously there are
>some who are capable of limited but still dangerous actions in that
>regard and these people should be closely monitored - I would argue
>it's much easier to do so when they are allowed to spew their bile
>(thereby identifying themselves) than when hate speech laws drive them
>underground.

Underground, that's the right place for them. But no, I'll settle for a jail cell until they learn some manners.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas