[lbo-talk] response to Fitch on single-payer

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Feb 9 08:30:37 PST 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>

-I am not sure what you want to say here, but I just started reading his book -"Solidarity for Sale" and what he says there looks rather "facty" to me. I -wish he was a bit more general by providing an overall assessment of how -widely the corruption and mob control are spread among the unions

Which is the exact problem I have with all the rhetoric thrown around. Unions have involved tens of millions of workers over the last few decades with trillions of dollars passing through various union hands.

So there are inevitably some percentage involved in corruption and crime of various sorts, as are any groups of people handling money anywhere else in the economy.

The problem is that any particular example of union corruption is used to stand in for the whole union movement, even as pervasive corporate crime is treated as "bad eggs" in a basically sound system. And it pisses me off to no end when someone like Fitch just feeds the union corruption meme without context.

-- Nathan Newman