[lbo-talk] Short-Term Tactics at Odds with Medium-Term Needs

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Feb 9 15:28:20 PST 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

-Going after Wal-Mart can be part of a generalized movement to expand -health care coverage, if proponents of Wal-Mart fair-share-for-health- -care bills and the like didn't disparage socialization of health care -through the government, but unfortunately they do -- vigorously: one -of the WakeUpWalMart demands is this -- "Affordable Health Care. -Provide all workers comprehensive, affordable health insurance -coverage so they can care for their families and no longer be forced -to rely on taxpayer-funded public health care" (at <http:// -www.wakeupwalmart.com/feature/benton/>). But we are for families -relying on taxpayer-funded public health care rather than employer- -sponsored insurance plans, because that's good both workers first of -all (and it can be argued to be good for some businesses, too, as it -helps increase "labor flexibility" without social conflicts).

Well, this is where we differ. I don't want to pay taxes to fund Wal-Mart's compensation costs. I want to tax corporate America and cut the tax burden on lower-income folks. An employer mandate is a form of corporate tax and the "pay or play" model forces companies to either pay for health care or pay into the public health care system to defray the costs.

As Wake Up Wal-Mart says, "you have the power to hold corporations responsible for their actions by making sure every large, profitable employer pays its fair share for health care."

But you'd rather have progressives calling for more taxes to help business get "labor flexibility"?

The rhetorical tactic by fair share advocates is to pick off moderates who worry about the tax burden on their families and channel it into anger at Wal-Mart. And unless progressives do that, we leave the field open for conservatives to channel that worry into anger at the poor themselves using those services.

But you'd rather have your preferred rhetoric defending a non-existent single payer system than an actual legislative victory that helps working families. Which pretty much sums up a chunk of the far left these days.

Nathan Newman