[lbo-talk] That explains.... Afterthought On 'A Woman Needs a Fish Like a Bicycle Needs ... Oh, Never Mind'

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 15:59:15 PST 2006

How long has Thimerosal appeared in children's vaccines? I'm pretty sure it's been a long time (not that it should have ever happened). I think that fish-borne mercury (and other heavy metals) consumed by pregnant mothers is a better explanation of the rise of autism (along with more detection and changing definitions). (Many children who used to be diagnosed as "retarded" are now seen as autistic.)

On 2/9/06, Leigh Meyers <leighcmeyers at gmail.com> wrote:
> I typed:
>
> That explains.... Oh, Never Mind!
>
> Daily Grist:
> http://www.grist.org/?source=daily
>
> A Woman Needs a Fish Like a Bicycle Needs ... Oh, Never Mind
> One in five U.S. women have high mercury levels, suggests new report
> <...>
>

> This may lead to an explanation about the autism spike seen
> in children over the last so many years. A 10 percent increase
> in California was noted in one study a year or two back... similar
> increases elsewhere in the U.S.
>
> =====
> Thimerosal/Mercury
> Mercury in Vaccines
> Updated: 08/17/2005
>
> Toxic mercury exposure has a wide range of adverse health effects.
> Currently in the United States there is a public health effort to reduce
> human exposure to mercury from all sources. (1)
>
> What is thimerosal, and why is it in some vaccines?
> Thimerosal is a compound that is 49.6% mercury by weight. Although it is
> not used in all vaccines (for example, it is not used in
> measles-mumps-rubella or chickenpox vaccines), it has been part of the
> manufacture of many vaccines since the 1930s.
>

> <...>
> Does thimerosal in vaccines pose a risk to infants?
> When pregnant women eat foods or take medicines that contain mercury,
> the mercury can be transferred to the developing fetus through the
> placenta. Infants can be exposed to mercury through foods, including
> breast milk, or medicines.
>
> Developing fetuses and young children are believed to be more
> susceptible to mercury exposure than adults because mercury can
> interfere with the developing nervous system.
> <...>
> http://www.immunizationinfo.org/thimerosal_mercury_detail.cfv?id=3

-- Jim Devine Bust Big Brother Bush!