[lbo-talk] citizens & SP

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Thu Feb 9 20:10:59 PST 2006

State health plans can coexist with employer plans the same way private pensions supplement Social Security. This is the case in Canada, where major employers offer supplementary health care for medical expenses not covered at all or covered inadequately by provincial health insurance plans subsidized by federal transfer payments. I don't understand why employer-paid and public plans are being so sharply counterposed to each other in relation to the US, and why it isn't accepted that political advances can be sought simultaneously in each arena, ie. ensuring mandatory private coverage by all but the very smallest employers based on a percentage of payroll, and expanding the existing state-run Medicare and Medicaid plans.

Obviously, as Nathan, John and others have pointed out, the pace and scope of expansion in both sectors will largely depend on the relationship of forces - how strongly the working public and its organizations fight for these improvements and how much resistance is offered by corporate America, which, all things being equal, would rather the public saved for its own health and retirement needs through individual tax-sheltered investment accounts. It seems to me it's not possible to predict where breakthroughs will occur first - any more than unions can predict with certainty where and how much movement there will be on the range of their demands at the bargaining table - which would suggest that any and all motion to insure better private and public sector coverage for larger numbers of Americans is worthy of support.

I don't know that the two objectives are in contradiction to each other - that the fight for more widespread employer-paid coverage subverts the push for a single payer system (actually multi-payer since the federal, state/provincial and municipal levels all share the burden of public expenditures on health care). It's equally possible that the more the private sector is forced to improve its coverage, the more it will seek to offload the burden on government(s). This presupposes, of course, that the Bush administration's proposal for individual health savings accounts proves a futile bid to siphon off American public pressure for improvements to these external sources of support.

Or is there something in particular about the US health care system and the fight to reform it which I'm missing which makes drawing on the Canadian and European experience invalid?