[lbo-talk] Freedom" of fascist speech is an absurdity

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Fri Feb 10 06:10:22 PST 2006

At 5:00 AM -0800 10/2/06, Chris Doss wrote:

>Perhaps Tasmania is an enlightened paradise where
>interethnic harmony reigns supreme, but in more
>backward places (that is, everywhere else), what you
>seem to be suggesting -- that people who express
>racist ideas should be put on trial -- is not very
>feasible. According to the opinion polls, over half
>the population of Ukraine has negative feelings about
>Jews, and express them openly (or they would not have
>checked the "Jews suck" box on the questionnaire).
>That is 30 million people. Perhaps the Ukrainian
>government should put over half the population of the
>country on trial. Yes, this is a brilliant idea.

It isn't quite that good, people can get away with racist talk in private conversations. But they will find themselves in trouble if they do it in public. The last case I recall was someone from that part of the world now you mention it, an ancient emigrant named Olga Scully was prosecuted for persistently distributing anti-semitic leaflets. mad as a hatter of course, but you even don't have to be Jewish for it to be an unpleasant experience finding something like that in your letter box. I know my mother was a bit concerned about it when it happened to her.

Of course, there being relatively few Jews here in Tasmania the more usual target in my experience is aboriginals. Though they are few and far between as well, given that (co-incidentally I'm sure) Tasmanian aborigines were the victims of a concerted campaign of genocide in the 19th century.

>To implement this policy in, say, the United States
>would require a secret police so vast and so efficient
>that it would make the NKVD look like a bunch of
>little boys.

Or a change in public attitude, making such views (or at least the public expression of such views) unacceptable. But I guess the NKVD option is more likely.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas