[lbo-talk] It pays to be stupid in America

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 13:14:13 PST 2006

Man, this looks like the kind of email my O'Reilly-watching family would send around. Whenever I see these kinds of attacks that focus on how folks have supposedly made bank through "frivolous lawsuits," i just see a deeper right-wing disdain for corporate accountability at work.

And like others have said, as far as I'm aware there really was some serious merit behind the woman who spilled the boiling coffee on her groin. But here in Texas, for example, a couple of years ago an initiative was passed that limited how much juries could award victims of corporate negligence. I thought it was outrageous, as I thought juries ought not to be prohibited that way. Seems like they should have final say. The right loved the new law.

-B.

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>> Stella Awards It's time once again to review the
winners of the Annual
>> "Stella Awards." The Stella Awards are named after
>> 81 year-old Stella
>> Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and
successfully sued
>> McDonald's (in NM). That case inspired the Stella
awards for the most
>> frivolous, ridiculous, successful lawsuits in the
United States.