[lbo-talk] Freedom" of fascist speech is an absurdity

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:20:18 PST 2006

On 2/10/06, Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote:

> Also, I think you are ignoring the fact that there are neo-Nazis who
> carryout racist killings. So, you are ignorning those who do in fact walk
> the walk.

I'm not ignoring them but neither do I believe that banning racist speech is either an efficient or an effective way of preventing racist violence. The far right is virtually non-existent here in Ireland (south) but racist violence isn't. Most of what inspires it is *not* actual expressions of support for Nazism - you can't find that here at all, except over the internet, where you'd never be able to censor it anyway - but the far more subtle race-baiting of our mainstream politicians. Such as the Minister for Justice, who successfully got a Constitutional amendment in 2004 to remove the automatic entitlement to citizenship of all children born here by claiming (on little evidence) that the maternity hospitals were overwhelmed with "citizenship tourists". Or such as the Labour leader who recently suggested the work permit scheme be re-introduced for EU accession state nationals because "there are 40 million Poles" and some Irish jobs have been lost to cheaper foreign labours. And you'd never be able to censor comments like those, either.