[lbo-talk] The Violent Effects of Economic Transition in Eastern Europe

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 11 04:41:52 PST 2006

--- Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote: The poorest 10% of Romanians have an annual revenue of 873 € per capita, barely more than the per capita income in Madagascar, one of the poorest countries in the world (790 € per capita ).

---

I have no doubt but that Romania has a big poverty problem, but these figures say nothing unless we determine how much 873 € or 790 € actually buy in Romania or Madagascar. E.g. I would guesstimate average monthy income in Moscow at about $800, which would be really poor in New York. However, in Moscow, a week-long package vacation in Egypt at a resort including airfare and hotel expenses goes for about $300.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!