[lbo-talk] Short-Term Tactics at Odds with Medium-Term Needs

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 11 08:19:20 PST 2006

John Lacny wrote:

>Yoshie Furuhashi:
>
>> One of the points of doing campaigns like one for single-
>> payer health care is to mobilize many of the rank and file,
>> rather than the wonky few.
>
>That's great, Yoshie. So who's doing it? For real, I mean.

There aren't many organizations other than Physicians for a National Health Program doing this full time (and they have 14,000 members, most of them doctors, which isn't trivial), but there are a bunch of endorsers, some of them pretty significant <http://www.pnhp.org/links/national.php>: American Association of Community Psychiatrists, American Medical Women's Association, American Medical Student's Association, National Medical Association, American Nurses Association, American Public Health Association, Islamic Medical Association, Americans for Democratic Action, Church Women United, Consumer Federation of America, Consumers Union, National Assocation of Social Workers, National Council of Senior Citizens, National Family Farm Coalition, Neighbor to Neighbor, Older Women's League, Screen Actor's Guild, and the US Public Interest Research Group, and United Steelworkers Union.

There are numerous state & local campaigns, many with the words "Health Care for All" in their name; for a list, see <http://www.pnhp.org/links/state.php> for a list. Also, there are bills in 18 state legislatures <http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/universalhealth.htm>, most of them a version of single-payer: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

There have also been several ballot initiatives - I think Jenny Brown was involved with one in Florida.

It's not a mass movement by any means, but there's certainly the nucleus of one. And if a few big unions joined the push, that would really be a shot in the arm.

Interesting editorial in the Des Moines Register, reprinted on the PNHP site <http://www.pnhp.org/news/2006/january/walmart_law_the_wron.php>, which rightly points out that the point of health care insurance reform should be to sever the link with employment:

Doug