[lbo-talk] Short-Term Tactics at Odds with Medium-Term Needs

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 11 08:31:29 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Do the single payer advocates really think it would be better to drop
>resources for those two campaigns and divert them to a single payer fight
>that has little chance of success?

This is a classic bit of your propaganda mode: create false all-or-nothing, black-or-white choices. SEIU is pushing its own health care scheme, trying to organize janitors, and trying to create a new union federation all at once. Obviously they think they can walk and chew gum at the same time. What's with this "drop everything" bit?

And what's with this "little chance of success"? There's little chance of successfully organizing Wal-Mart any time in the next decade, but lots of resources are going into that. Polls show great potential support for single-payer. I know how huge the odds are against it, but it's far from hopeless. Should someone have advised Rosa Parks that her movement had little chance of success too? Betty Friedan?

Doug