[lbo-talk] Re: Rabbi Michael Lerner using the Antisemitism card against the US Green party

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Sat Feb 11 11:08:04 PST 2006

Brian puts it better than I did. Why do people assume that when I say an argument is reasonable that I necessarily agree with it in whole or part?

-Chip

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of BklynMagus Sent: Sat 2/11/2006 1:56 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Re: Rabbi Michael Lerner using the Antisemitism card against the US Green party

Dear List:

Yoshie writes:

> Chip, anti-Semitism isn't non-existent in the US left, but calling
for divestment from Israel without calling for divestment from the US, China, Russia, Sudan, etc. isn't ipso facto anti-Semitic, as Rabbi Lerner alleges in this case.

It is a tough call. Clearly, Chinese depradations in Tibet demand a call for divestment, but the US left is peculiarly silent.

Why? Because of China's leftist past? Because Buddhism lies outside the Abrahamic continuum?

I think Lerner's claim is a simplification, but the left's selectivity here is in urgent need of unpacking.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister