[lbo-talk] The Modern Right in Europe

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 11 14:39:02 PST 2006

--- Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> think that the left needs to re-invent itself in
> this new "triangular"
> world, sacrifice some of its holy cows, develop an
> entirely new way of
> framing the issues

So, speaking of framing, what do you think of Lakoff's views as a basis for Left triangulation? As you may know, he argues that most people do not vote according to self-interest per se (ie class interest) but according to identity/frames. He posits two predominant frames at play in modern american politics: (1) the strict father model, which is the kernel worldview of all conservatives (and to which they have succesfully rallied) and, (2) nurturant parents worldview, which he estimates is the general worldview of all on the Left, in spite of their differences (everything from liberal democrates to anarchists...however the broad spectrum of the Left has not rallied under that banner and each component of the Left continues to bicker with the others).

Even if that premise is correct though, and we were to be guided by that, what would it lead to?

-Thomas

-