[lbo-talk] Drop the "Controlling Parents" Worldview

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 11 15:04:21 PST 2006

Thomas wrote:

> He [Lakoff] posits two predominant frames at play in modern
> american politics: (1) the strict father model, which is the
> kernel worldview of all conservatives (and to which they have
> succesfully rallied) and, (2) nurturant parents worldview, which he
> estimates is the general worldview of all on the Left, in spite of
> their differences (everything from liberal democrates to
> anarchists...however the broad spectrum of the Left has not rallied
> under that banner and each component of the Left continues to
> bicker with the others). Even if that premise is correct though,
> and we were to be guided by that, what would it lead to?

I'd say that liberals and leftists (of the sort that are in the political mainstream) have -- and are seen to have -- a "controlling parents" worldview. They treat adults as children; they take away guns, porn, cigarettes, drinks, drugs, fatty and sugary foods, etc. from them; they give "classes" -- parenting classes, job interview classes, etc. -- rather than money, jobs, health care, housing, etc. to the poor; and so on and so forth. So do rightists, but people correctly see that rightists at least don't take away their guns. :-0

I'm with Max on this (cf. <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of- Mon-20060130/030187.html>).

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>