[lbo-talk] Labor taking out pro-CAFTA Democrat

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sat Feb 11 15:12:37 PST 2006

I actually think this use of political funds to zap rightwing Dems is a quite good use of union political funds.-- NN

===== http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA021106.01B.Cuellar_Unions.1606acd6.html

"Add steelworkers to the list of unions gunning for U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar.

"He is our No. 1 primary target in the United States," said Chuck Rocha, national political director of the United Steelworkers of America.

The Laredo Democrat got to the top of the Pennsylvania-based union's hit list because of his vote last July for the Central America Free Trade Agreement...

"Every affiliate of the AFL-CIO is involved in this race - every international is doing what it can to help," said Alicia Garza, president of the San Antonio AFL-CIO Central Labor Council. "This race has gotten national attention, so we have internationals who have sent people here to help."