[lbo-talk] Rabbi Michael Lerner using the Antisemitism

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 11 15:16:34 PST 2006

Brian responds:

>>Your concentration on the Tibetan minority
>>therefore reeks of traditional anti-Islamic bigotry.
>
>It is not a concentration: it just happens to be the
>example I picked out.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. I was not at all charging you with any sort of prejudice, but was merely trying to show how silly Lerner's "reasonable" critique was. It's like Hitchens asking what Naomi Klein and her windmill conern has done for the morally beautiful Kurds.

>How about where you are implicated as a human
>being?

I pay taxes to a federal government that supplies military aid to its junior partner, and turns an indifferent eye (when not actively encouraging) said junior partner's oppressive military occupation.

>You are certainly implicated in China in terms of
>economic choices you make.

Quite. But my concerns and capacity for positive change re: Palestine are a lot more direct than trying to, say, avoid buying electronics with subassemblies manufactured in China.

Are you saying that my role as consumer is more "human" than my role as taxpayer/citizen? Best watch out, lest the Manhattan Institute put on a banquet in your honor.