[lbo-talk] Rabbi Michael Lerner using the Antisemitism card against the US Green Party

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 11 16:25:24 PST 2006

Jim wrote:

> my guess is that there's anti-Jewish bigotry all across the US
> political spectrum, but that the left suffers from it less than the
> right does. For example, my right-wing East-coast relatives (part
> of the Connecticut country club set) are anti-Jewish.

I agree with Jim. Far from anti-Jewish, how the Green Party resolution for divestment came about is a model of Jewish ethic as Bryan notes. The leaders of the Wisconsin Party that introduced the resolution are Jewish (Ruth Weill) and Palestinian (Mohammed Abed). The Wisconsin Party noted: "Our membership includes Muslims and Jews, as well as a variety of others, who are working for the rights of Palestinians in harmony with both Israeli & Palestinian peace groups. The resolution for divestment was authored through the collaboration of members with Jewish and Muslim backgrounds. It is through people working together with such diverse backgrounds that we gain the wisdom to see our way to peace" (at <http://wisconsingreenparty.org/ blogs/WIGPnews/archives/000458.shtml>). Jews and Palestinians working together like that ought to be commended rather than disparaged.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>