[lbo-talk] Rabbi Michael Lerner using the Antisemitism card against the US Green Party

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Sat Feb 11 23:37:38 PST 2006

I would suspect that this may actually have something to do with the prominence of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict as a 'left issue.' Growing up in a Jewish household, in a Jewish community, perhaps especially as a post-'67 era, it is near inevitable that the issue of Israel and Zionism was a regular topic of conversation in some fashion, be it in the home, the synagogue, youth groups, summer camps, BBYO, AZA/USY, Hebrew school, etc.

Leftist, progressive Jews, who grow up in this milieu and begin to question these hegemonic understandings of Israel within their community, are 'naturally' going to include the issue of Israel/Palestine high on their agendas as activists, just not in the way that their community expected.