[lbo-talk] women outnumber men in college

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Sun Feb 12 14:31:23 PST 2006

At 05:09 PM 2/12/2006, Michael Perelman wrote:
>In my introductory classes, the young women seem a bit more mature. This
>observation
>supports what Jim D. said.
>--

People have been ripping this crap apart in various venues anyway. in it's more ridiculous form, it's a ridiculous attempt to claim victim status for men and it's being promulgated by conservatives and men's rights movement activists of the less than admirable kind who want to make sure there's very little structural analyses of the situation.

(most of our news is crafted out of press releases and it's a freakin' mainstay of conservative talking point to blab on about how "our boys" are getting the shaft.)

a lot of its attached to claims that our education system is screwed up and doesn't cater to the special needs of boys. Thus, they tune out of school and turn away from college.

Few discuss the fact that, historically, men can get better paying jobs with no degree than most women ever dream of.

Few ever bother to find out what the graduation rates are. Enrollment rates only tell part of the story. What about graduation rates -- actually completing college. There to, historically, the record shows that even with one or two years of college, men can drop out and get a better paying job than can a woman.

.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org