[lbo-talk] that's why we have a constitution

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Mon Feb 13 01:16:15 PST 2006

I don't know what it is, but I just tried to get to sleep with some teevee watching. Some doco on showtime maybe? it's about the rights of GLBT people of color.

Black woman sez (didn't catch her name): look, that's why we have a constitution. The majority does NOT have the right to legislate the rights of a minority. IOW, we have a judicial branch because some brightknob realized that, if you couldn't leave things only up to "the people" but needed a little checkin' and balancin'.

Worth thinking about when the next time I have to listen to anyone droning on about how the abortion struggle's gone haywire because we used the constitution and the judicial branch to advance our rights. (And, no, sorry. don't freakin' even try to tell me about how we didn't pave the soil for accepting such a thing. This would be a serious misreading of feminist history. Uh, misreading? No, I mean: lack of reading.)

Completely Bitchy

"Scream-of-consciousness prose, peppered with sociological observations, political ruminations, and in-yore-face colloquial assaults."

-- Dennis Perrin, redstateson.blogspot.com

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org