[lbo-talk] Illinois as model for Democratic agenda

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 13 16:25:39 PST 2006

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

>On 13 Feb 2006 at 17:22, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> Some attributions aside, I'm not an ultraleftist.
>
>Where do you separate ultra-left from left?
>I'm sure Bill O'Reilly would consider you an ultra-leftist but what
>does that designation mean to you in terms
>of what you support or oppose?
>I hope this doesn't look like a snide question because it isn't
>intended to be.

Not snide - it's a term of art among the hard left (of which I still consider myself a member). Among the defining characteristics are to dismiss the mainstream parties as indistinguishably bourgeois, and dismiss electoral politics as somewhere between a waste of time and a malignant diversion from the serious business of politics, which is bringing about the revolution, however that is supposed to happen.

Doug