[lbo-talk] Illinois as model for Democratic agenda

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 14 13:04:09 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Since this started with accusations of corruption against SEIU, what mob
>violence has been involved in their organizing the hundreds of thousands of
>janitors and nurses in the last decade or so?

Fitch credits Stern for having cleaned up SEIU, though faults him for not having mentioned that that was what he was doing. But under Sweeney, corruption was pervasive in the union - most notoriously, Gus Bevona's 32BJ local. I don't have the book with me here, so I can't cite this more exactly, but under Bevona and his predecessors the local was a stinkpot of corruption. Which wasn't very good for the janitors and doormen.

Doug