[lbo-talk] union corruption

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Tue Feb 14 14:55:20 PST 2006

Union corruption has been historically pretty commonplace in the US. Has Sweden, for example, had anything to compare to the Teamsters, ILA, Laborers, and a bunch of others? Any European country? And less offensive than outright corruption but disgusting anyway is the tendency of some union officials to be a little too generous with their union credit cards. Let's be honest here. Unions are an avenue of upward social mobility for more than a few people. Class consciousness isn't part of the equation. In my own life I have seen enough of this shit to make me sick. Why cover it up or make excuses for it or say it's no big thing. Tell that to Jock Yablonski's family.

There are leftists in unions, quite a few of them. Some of the best are having a conference in DC in late March. They have formed the Center for Labor Renewal. Bill Fletcher, Jerry Tucker, and Elly Leary are among the founders. My good comrade Fernando Gapasin is another. These folks have been in the trenches and know what they are talking about. The kind of people we should support, along with the kind of labor renewal they envision.

Michael Yates