[lbo-talk] "Hitler 'a Babe in Arms' Compared to Bush" - Hugo Chavez

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 21:31:54 PST 2006

I suggest everyone take a tip from Hugo and use the 'F' word regularly. Because you CAN... While you still have the right to use the word...

Courtesy of: www.watchingamerica.com/

Chavez Says Hitler 'a Babe in Arms' Compared to Bush

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, after being serenaded by a band singing Chavez Don't Go Away, proceeded before a huge rally last week to denounce the Bush Administration for spying on his country and warned, according to this account from Venezuela's El Universal, that if the United States doesn't halt its behavior, 'We would soon see how high a gallon of gasoline can go.'

El Universal Translated By Karen Hoffmann En Espanol; http://deportes.eluniversal.com/2006/02/04/pol_ava_04A666763.shtml

February 4, 2006

Caracas: On the national radio and television network, President Hugo Chavez addressed his followers congregated on Bolivar Avenue and insisted on the truth of the espionage accusations against U.S. Embassy officials, assuring that there is "a lieutenant colonel of the U.S. Army" whom "I have hunted."

He also warned that he would imprison American officials who continued to spy: "I know where they eat Reina Pepiada [a kind of filled tortilla], because they changed the tortilla maker to Jose Vicente" he said, drawing attention to the Vice-President. "I am hunting them. If they are reckless, I will take them prisoner and bring them to the [U.S.] Embassy."

He said of the military attaché, John Correa - who was declared persona non grata and was ordered expelled from the country - "when he was told that he was caught they sent him on vacation."

After justifying his Government's expulsion of Correa, Chavez complained of the action undertaken by the U.S. against Venezuelan diplomat Jenny Figueredo Frías, expelled from North America "as a political reprisal." "That government has no reason to expel her," he noted.

The president warned that if the U.S. Government wishes to break relations with Venezuela, it would cost Chavez nothing to close Venezuela's refineries in that country. "We would soon see how high a gallon of gasoline can go," he declared.

He offered a tribute to the Venezuelan Embassy advisor in Washington, Jenny Figueredo Frías, who was expelled from the U.S. and declared persona non grata, in response to the same measure taken by the Venezuelan government last Thursday in regard to American Embassy naval attaché John Correa.

The Chief of State indicated that during the presidential elections they are not battling the political opposition or the mass media, but "really we are facing the most powerful, immoral, cynical, murderous empire that has ever existed in the entire history of our planet: The empire of the United States of America. That is our true adversary."

He warned that "the empire began the attack, we also will begin ours" and assured that this year the U.S. "will return to bite the dust of defeat."

"This battle against the imperialism of the U.S. began with Bolivar ... I ask everyone that 200 years later, we defeat imperialism and contribute to saving the life of this planet by throwing off this dangerous empire that threatens the entire world," he insisted.

President Chavez criticized the comparison made by the U.S. Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, of his person with Adolf Hitler and recommended a book called "Hitler won the war" by Walter Graziano, which discussed the supposed relation between "the Bush clan and bin Laden" and the supposed financing of the Nazi machinery in Germany on the part of a U.S. elite, among other subjects.

"If someone is physically similar to Hitler, at a glance, he is indeed Mister Danger," he said in reference to U.S. President George W. Bush. "The imperialistic, genocidal, fascist attitude of the U.S. President knows no bounds. I believe that Hitler was a babe in arms next to him," he affirmed.

He also questioned the declarations of the U.S. National Director of Intelligence, John Negroponte, whom he described as having a "mafia handbook," who alerted Washington of the supposed risk of any reelection of President Chavez and his exercise of executive powers.

Beginning the "Second Battle of Santa Inés"

He announced that "today the second Battle of Santa Inés begins. There are ten months from now until December 3rd of this year to give our country another resounding popular political and revolutionary victory," with a view to the December elections which he hopes to be reelected by 10 million votes. "It's very encouraging," he recognized.

[Editor's Note: The gathering on Bolivar Ave. in Caracus, that this article is an account of, was called to commemorate Chavez' own failed coup, on Feb. 4, 1992. The Battle of Santa Ines took place on Dec. 10, 1859, and was a key confrontation of the Venezuelan Federal War, in which the Federalists, led by General Ezequiel Zamora, were victoriousRealVideo].

The President dedicated the celebration to his comrades-in-arms, some of whom were present. He sought their recognition, especially for Commander Francisco Arias Cardenas, who was present at the act. "I am sure that from now on we will always walk together, in this battle that began so long ago," he said. He also saluted Joel Acosta Chirinos, who also participated in the 1992 putsch.

The Chief of State wanted to render tribute to the fallen ones of 4F [Feb. 4]. "Soldiers, students, officials, noncommissioned officers, troops, bachelors ... the commitment especially by them and all the men and women who have fallen in this long fight for the vindication of the mother country," he affirmed.

Before beginning his approximately 20-minute-speech, the national radio and TV stations broadcast a band singing, Chavez Don't Go Away ("Uh, ah, Chavez no se va") for the arrival of the Chief of State to Bolivar Avenue.

After the singing of the National Anthem, a cry went up which was the customary call to battle, which summoned the audience to "The second Battle of Holy Ines," which is the name of the Chavez' official electoral campaign.

Minutes before, the vice president of the Republic, Jose Vicente Rangel, assured that today’s [defense] mobilization was not an electoral act.