[lbo-talk] Illinois as model for Democratic agenda

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 15 08:28:22 PST 2006

Jim Devine:

> speaking of which, how come we didn't celebrate Jimmy
> Hoffa's birthday yesterday?? how quickly we forget.

Unlike Nathan, I am not interested in finding redemptive qualities in Gus Bevona, but I agree with him that Hoffa was a more complicated story. While Jackie Presser was more straightforwardly corrupt, Hoffa in his origins was a genuine unionist, and to some extent never forgot that. All hail the heroic Teamster reformers and all, and I'd never suggest that we should go back to that era -- but there is something to be said for the Master Freight Agreement and all it meant.

Also, Huey Newton had some good things to say about Hoffa (read "Revolutionary Suicide"!).