[lbo-talk] Cheney: it's his fault

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 15 10:27:33 PST 2006

On 15 Feb 2006 at 11:08, Doug Henwood forwarded:

> <http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/story/391468p-332043c.html>
>
> [...]
>
> Cheney is understandably reported to be sick at heart over the
> accident. "He feels terrible about it," a source said.
>
> Another GOP source told the Daily News that Cheney has been telling
> friends the average person probably can't comprehend the situation.
> "He knows most people don't understand how things like this can
> happen," the source said. "But people who are hunters understand it.
> This guy was in a place he shouldn't be."
>
> [...]

Are they saying Cheney blames the victim for standing in the wrong place and that he think most hunters will agree with him on this? He can't be that disconnected from reality can he? I guess so.

I've been nearly shot quail hunting and I can tell you that the man pointing the gun is always 100% responsible for where he fires. The accident report says Cheney swung and fired on game while Whittington was retrieving his. Something an experienced hunter should never do. Even if Whittington charged into the cover without signaling his intent no one should fire unless they know where every member of their hunting party is. It sounds like they both made a mistake only Dicks was by far was least excusable since it has the most serious ramifications.

Maybe they made the report up and it really happened while they were standing there talking and Dick had his shotgun under his arm? Maybe they were even arguing and Dick was really mad? Maybe he found out Harry was sleeping with Lynne?

John Thornton