[lbo-talk] Re: further adventures in political surrealism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 15 14:44:46 PST 2006

Jim Devine wrote:

>could it be that even though it's wrong on average, the "Kansas
>thesis" is right on the margin? That is, _some_ workers are fooled by
>the culture wars bait-and-switch and vote against their class
>interest. In turn, only a small shift in the vote might change the
>overall balance of power?

Maybe, but I'm reading the latest version of Bartels' Kansas paper now in the other window. It responds to Frank's self-defense (which he got from Ruy Teixeira) by using education as the proxy for class rather than income. And, in general, it's the upscale white voters who have more conservative social attitudes, and it's also the upscale for whom the social issues are more weighty in their voting choices. In other words, there's no evidence for the bait-and-switch argument, and substantial evidence against it.

And there's this fascinating bit: