[lbo-talk] Re: further adventures in political surrealism

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Wed Feb 15 16:06:28 PST 2006

I agree that this is another depressing example of "false consciousness", which I think has mostly do with people believing that tax cuts in these times offer a more promising way of improving their take home pay than fighting for higher pay and improved social benefits. This view is reinforced both by the decline of working class economic and political power, and ruling class promotion rather than resistance to tax cuts. The fact that there may be more than offsetting cuts to social programs doesn't occur to many working people, or are regarded as something uncertain and far off whereas well-defined tax cuts promise immediate relief. Some popular support for tax cuts is also animated by hostility within the working class towards the poor, especially racial and ethnic minorities and new immigrants ("them") who experience higher than average unemployment and are seen as disproportionately and undeservedly benefiting from "too high" taxes and government spending.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: "lbo-talk" <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 4:42 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Re: further adventures in political surrealism